The UA Early College Parent Leadership Council is a great way for parents of current UAEC students to engage in this overall rewarding experience during their student’s participation in UA Early College. This is another way for parents to share with others their family’s experience and their student’s success, and allow others to see how they can become engaged and involved.
What is the UA Early College Parent Leadership Council?
Mission: The UAEC Parent Leadership Council is comprised of parents of UA Early College students who serve as a liaison between UAEC and other parents and those in their community. Ideal members are energetic, creative, and dedicated to the mission and vision of UA Early College and its support of students and their families. Members of the council will:
- Build the brand and awareness of UA Early College in their communities
- Serve in an advisory capacity to the UAEC staff
- Support UA Early College initiatives and encourage involvement and support from others
What are the duties if selected to serve on the UAEC Parent Leadership Council?
- Assist with recruiting efforts in their local geographic area/region (including college fairs, receptions, etc.)
- Advise UAEC staff of issues facing high school families
- Take an active role in promoting the opportunities of UA Early College to other parents, students, school administrators and community members
- Meet twice during the year (spring/summer meetings) to review recruiting goals set by UAEC staff, learn ways to support students and parents, discuss issues concerning parents
- Serve as a resource and strong support network to other UAEC parents to address concerns and questions that may arise (request to make UAEC-PLC member’s contact information will be made available on the UAEC website)
- Volunteer during UAEC events including on-campus activities (Summer Residential Move-In, on-campus UAEC 200 sessions, and other UAEC initiatives as needed), online UAEC 200 sessions and other communication efforts as needed, community engagement opportunities (senior certificate presentations at high schools, etc.)
- Advocate for dual-credit opportunities in their local school systems
- Be knowledgeable of UAEC opportunities and innovative programs and share these with other parents and students
I’m interested in becoming a member of the UAEC Parent Leadership Council. How do I get involved?
- All interested and eligible applicants must complete an application
- Your student must have successfully completed the UAEC 200 College Readiness Course
- One membership per household (spousal/partner involvement welcome, but only one seat on council will be from one household)
- Selection based on need and to ensure strong representation of all UAEC students (public, private, and homeschool systems; in-state and out-of-state residents; currently enrolled UAEC students. Council members allowed to have a student who is one-year removed from the program)
- Number of council members may vary based on need and active participation of the level of members
- Council members will serve a one-year renewable term (a new application will be submitted each year)
- After two consecutive years of service, members must rotate off council for one year, but can reapply after the year break
- The service year runs June 1-May 31
- UA faculty and staff are eligible to apply if they meet the other requirements
Tell me more about the application process and timeline.
- All interested individuals must complete the online application by the specified deadline (Monday, May 11, 2020 for
the 2020-2021 academic year)
- Applications will be received and reviewed during the spring by the UA Early College Parent Leadership Selection Committee. Each application will be considered on an individual basis and applicants will be selected to move to Part 2 of the process based on the strength of their application.
- Once applications are reviewed by the Parent Leadership Selection Committee and candidates are selected to move forward, a conversation with the UAEC director and committee will take place for final evaluation
- If selected for the UA Early College Parent Leadership Council, members will participate in a two-part orientation
The UAEC Parent Leadership Council Application
The UAEC Parent Leadership Council Application for the 2020-2021 academic year is closed at this time.