UA Early College is designed to help current high school students become quality college students. In addition to the financial benefits of the partial tuition scholarship, students may receive other benefits by participating in the program and utilizing the academic support offered.
UA Early College students can transfer academic credits earned with them to a variety of institutions, but many find that The University of Alabama can meet all of their academic needs. Listed below are some of the additional benefits offered to UA Early College students that choose to attend The University of Alabama as undergraduate students.
Benefits of having participated in UA Early College and attending UA
By receiving college credit hours through UA Early College:
- Your course registration for upcoming semesters will open earlier for you. Students with more credit hours are eligible to register for courses sooner than students with fewer credit hours.
- Your student football ticket package (and other athletic ticket packages) will be based on your number of earned UA credit hours. Both home and away game student football tickets are allotted based on UA credit hours. Your eligibility for these student ticket opportunities will be increased because of your participation in UA Early College.
With 5 or more credit hours through UA Early College
By receiving 5 or more college credit hours through UA Early College by December of your senior year of high school:
- You will be awarded the UA Early College senior certificate acknowledging your dedication and success in college courses as a high school student, if you have at least a 2.5 UA GPA. This is great accomplishment to list on a college application or resume.
With 12 or more credit hours through UA Early College
By receiving 12 or more college credit hours through UA Early College before enrolling at UA full-time:
- You can be admitted to the University of Alabama without an ACT or SAT test score if you have at least a 2.75 UA GPA. You will still need to submit an undergraduate admission application.
*You will need to submit an ACT/SAT score if you are not applying test optional and/or pursuing freshman automatic scholarships.
- You may be admitted to the Honors College as soon as freshman year if you have a 3.5 UA GPA, regardless of your ACT/SAT test score. This opportunity allows students to have smaller class sizes and receive more individualized instruction. Professors in University Honors (UH) courses stress the development of critical, analytical, and interpretive skills.
*You must complete the Honors College application.
With 14 or more credit hours through UA Early College
By receiving 14 or more college credit hours through UA Early College by December of your senior year of high school:
- You receive the UA Early College Honor Cord (to wear along with your other high school awards as part of graduation, if permitted), if you have a 3.0 or higher UA GPA. This prestigious recognition is given to represent the work and success of your time in high school and UA Early College.
*Please speak with your school counselor/Administrator to receive permission to wear this at awards day or graduation.
By receiving 14 or more college credit hours through UA Early College students are eligible to be inducted into the UA Early College Honor Society:
- Students with 14 or more UA credit hours and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 are automatically eligible for the UA Early College Honor Society. Those who qualify receive an email at the end of an academic term notifying them of their eligibility. Students then confirm their acceptance if they would like to be inducted. Membership in the UA Early College Honor Society is automatically renewed as long as a student maintains a cumulative 3.0 GPA. All inductees receive a lapel pin and a certificate to acknowledge their hard work and dedication.
With 17 or more credit hours through UA Early College
By receiving 17 or more college credit hours through UA Early College by December of your senior year of high school:
- You will be considered for the Alumni Ivory Tusk scholarship, if you have at least a 3.0 UA GPA. The Ivory Tusk scholarship opportunity is only available to UA Early College students and awards $2000 to multiple students in the first year as a full time UA undergraduate. You must be admitted to UA before January 15.
- You will be given early priority in selecting where you would like to live on campus, if you have at least a 2.5 UA GPA. The University of Alabama offers many different living arrangements and Residence Halls. By earning 17 or more credit hours through UAEC, you will be assigned an early room selection login time.
*To receive priority housing selection, 17 credit hours must be earned by December of your senior year and you must complete the housing application.