What Is LEAP?
Leaders Exploring Academic Possibilities (LEAP) is a summer program for rising high school freshmen hosted by UA Early College at The University of Alabama. Students who meet the criteria must submit an application and be extended an invitation to participate in a camp session.
- LEAP consists of a five-day academic, leadership, and service exploration. Rising high school freshmen will participate in team-building exercises, University of Alabama college activities, Tuscaloosa community service opportunities, and group project planning.
Who Can Participate in LEAP?
- Rising high school freshmen (current 8th graders)
- Each camp is limited to 55 student participants
When Will LEAP be Held?
In order to accommodate the needs of students and families, the five-day LEAP camp will be held during two separate weeks. Students can choose to participate in the June camp OR the July camp. Students will choose one camp in which to participate.
The LEAP program will be held from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on the following dates:
- LEAP Camp 1: Monday, June 7 – Friday, June 11, 2021
- LEAP Camp 2: Monday, July 12 – Friday, July 16, 2021
UA Early College looks forward to offering the LEAP 2021 program on campus this summer, with health and safety being a top priority. If it becomes necessary for The University of Alabama to cancel on campus activities for the summer semester, UA Early College will notify students and parents regarding virtual camp options. For the latest COVID-19 University of Alabama updates, please visit the UA Health Information website.
Where Will LEAP be Held?
- The University of Alabama campus and various community service areas in Tuscaloosa
- Be a rising high school freshman student (current 8th grade student)
- Submit an online LEAP application, which includes a short essay and submission of two online letters of reference
- Be selected for the LEAP program
- $250.00 per student (subject to change)
- Cost includes materials, UA campus activities, community service activities, meals, supplies, LEAP T-shirt, closing ceremony attendance, group photo, and certificate.
Applying to LEAP
In order to be considered for the LEAP program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Be a rising high school freshman (current 8th grade student)
- Complete an online LEAP application
The LEAP 2021 application is open! LEAP participants will have the option to attend June 7-11 or attend July 12-16.
The LEAP 2021 application will close Friday, December 4, 2020.
*Students will be notified in February of 2021 regarding their acceptance into the program.
All completed LEAP application packets (application and references) will be reviewed by the UA Early College LEAP Committee once the application closes. Due to each camp being limited to 55 participants, not all applicants will be extended an invitation to participate in a camp session.
Once final selections are made, invitations will be extended. Students must accept their invitation to participate, as well as attend a required orientation session with their parent/guardian.
No money is due until a student has been accepted into LEAP. Specific details and payment deadlines will be communicated to those students who accept their invitation to participate.
For additional information or questions about the LEAP program, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 205-348-7083.