What Is LEAP?
Leaders Exploring Academic Possibilities (LEAP) is a summer program for rising high school freshmen hosted by UA Early College at The University of Alabama. Students who meet the criteria must submit an application and be extended an invitation to participate in a camp session.
LEAP consists of five days of academic, leadership, and service exploration. Rising high school freshmen will participate in team-building exercises, University of Alabama college activities, and Tuscaloosa community service opportunities.
The LEAP 2022 application closed on December 2, 2021. Students will be notified in February 2022 regarding their acceptance into the program.
To catch a glimpse into last year’s LEAP activities, please view our 2021 slideshow videos.
Who Can Participate in LEAP?
- Rising high school freshmen (8th grade graduates in summer 2022)
- Students must complete an online LEAP application, which includes a short essay and submission of two online letters of reference
- Each camp is limited to 60 student participants
When Will LEAP be Held?
In order to accommodate the needs of students and families, the five-day LEAP camp will be held during three separate weeks. Students will choose one camp in which to participate.
The LEAP program will be held from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on the following dates:
- LEAP Camp 1: Monday, June 6 – Friday, June 10, 2022
- LEAP Camp 2: Monday, July 11 – Friday, July 15, 2022
- LEAP Camp 3: Monday, July 25 – Friday, July 29, 2022
UA Early College looks forward to offering the LEAP 2022 program on campus this summer, with health and safety being a top priority. If it becomes necessary for The University of Alabama to cancel on campus activities for the summer semester, UA Early College will notify students and parents regarding virtual camp options. For the latest COVID-19 University of Alabama updates, please visit the UA Health Information website.
Where Will LEAP be Held?
The University of Alabama campus and various community service areas in Tuscaloosa
- $300.00 per student (subject to change)
- Cost includes materials, UA campus activities, community service activities, breakfast and lunch, supplies, LEAP T-shirt, closing ceremony attendance and certificate.
All completed LEAP application packets (application and references) will be reviewed by the UA Early College LEAP Committee once the application closes. Due to each camp being limited to 60 participants, not all applicants will be extended an invitation to participate in a camp session.
Once final selections are made, invitations will be extended. Students must accept their invitation to participate, as well as attend a required orientation session with their parent/guardian.
No money is due until a student has been accepted into LEAP. Specific details and payment deadlines will be communicated to those students who accept their invitation to participate.
For additional information or questions about the LEAP program, email email@example.com or call 205-348-7083.