LEAP (Leaders Exploring Academic Possibilities)
What is LEAP?
Leaders Exploring Academic Possibilities (LEAP) is a summer program for rising high school freshmen hosted by UA Early College at The University of Alabama. Students who meet the criteria must submit an application and be extended an invitation to participate in a camp session.
- LEAP consists of a five-day academic, leadership, and service exploration. Rising high school freshmen will participate in team-building exercises, The University of Alabama college activities, Tuscaloosa community service opportunities, and group project planning.
Who can participate in LEAP?
- Rising high school freshmen (current 8th graders)
- Each camp is limited to 55 student participants
When will LEAP be held?
In order to accommodate the needs of students and families, the five-day LEAP camp will be held during two separate weeks. Students can choose to participate in the June camp OR the July camp. Students will choose one camp in which to participate.
The LEAP program will be held on the following dates:
- LEAP Camp 1: Monday, June 8 - Friday, June 12, 2020
- LEAP Camp 2: Monday, July 13 - Friday, July 17, 2020
- 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Where will LEAP be held?
- The University of Alabama campus and various community service areas in Tuscaloosa
- Be a rising high school freshman student (current 8th grade student)
- Submit an online LEAP application, which includes a short essay and submission of two online letters of reference
- Be selected for the LEAP program
- $250.00 per student (subject to change)
- Cost includes materials, UA campus activities, community service activities, meals, supplies, LEAP t-shirt, closing ceremony attendance, group photo, and certificate.
In order to be considered for the LEAP (Leaders Exploring Academic Possibilities) program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Be a rising high school freshman (current 8th grade student)
- Complete an online LEAP application
The LEAP application will open October 7, 2019 and will close December 6, 2019. Students will be notified in February of their acceptance into the program.
All completed LEAP application packets (application and references) will be reviewed by the UA Early College LEAP Committee once the application closes. Due to each camp being limited to 55 participants, not all applicants will be extended an invitation to participate in a camp session.
Once final selections are made, invitations will be extended. Students must accept their invitation to participate, as well as attend a required orientation session with their parent/guardian.
No money is due until a student has been accepted into LEAP. Specific details and payment deadlines will be communicated to those students who accept their invitation to participate.
For additional information or questions about the LEAP program, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (205) 348-7083.